Before the advent of tin foil, banana leaves, corn husks and many other leaves were used for the same purpose. Not only do banana leaves protects food from burning, but they infuse food with a fragrant sweetness as it cooks.
- 2 large pieces banana leaf (large enough to wrap the fish)
- 2 fish fillets
Dressing: mix together the following
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- juice of 1 lime (lemon will do)
- fresh garlic, ginger and chilli to taste
- 1 small handful fresh mint, coarsely chopped
- 1 small handful fresh coriander leaves, coarsely chopped
Wash and dry the banana leaves. Place the fish in the middle of the leaf and spoon half the dressing over the fish. Wrap the fish well in the leaf (don’t worry too much if the leaf splits slightly here or there). Repeat with the second piece of fish.
Braai or grill, turning every few minutes for 10 – 15 minutes (depending on size and thickness of fish) or bake in a preheated oven at 200ºC for 15 -20 minutes.
To serve, slit open the parcels and eat immediately.