There are many good reasons to avoid using plastics, from reducing our oil dependency to limiting the detrimental impact plastics have on both environmental and human health. Here are 10 tips to get you started.
1. Cook your own food. Avoid processed foods in lots of packaging. Healthier for the environment and you!
2. Say no to plastic water bottles or any other plastic drink bottles.
3. Avoid food products in plastic containers. Choose plastic free alternatives or make your own (eg: mayonnaise, jam, chutney)
4. Stop eating take-out. Eat in, on a plate. If you have to buy take-out, take your own container.
5. Buy second hand books, CD’s, clothing, home wares etc. Less Packaging, less waste.
6. Always carry a reusable shopping bag… and use it.
7. Same goes for reusable coffee mugs, utensils etc. Carry them and use them.
8. Learn to say NO to plastic. So no to plastic freebies, bags, straws, cups… everything!
9. Know the recycling situation in your area.
10. Start looking at plastic in all other areas of your life: toiletries, cosmetics, cleaning products storage containers etc. Do you really need them? Are plastic free alternatives available?
Don’t get disheartened or be too hard on yourself… no one said it would be easy.